Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You don't know what you've got till it's (almost) gone

You don't know what you've got till it's (almost) gone
"I want to move to Florida!, I hate this cold place and I'm always sick with all this rain elevating the mold levels. I want out of here!"
"So start looking for a job then! But you know I can't move right now. There's my work and the house to sell. You'll be on your own for awhile."
"It'll be okay. I can handle it. It won't be for long and then you'll be there and things will be great!"
And so started my search for a job in Florida - land of all my dreams coming true. And here I am with a great job on the beach, renting a house on the canal that has a stove the size of the Easy Bake oven I had as a child, a washer that leaks, a cooktop with only two working burners and a shower that takes fifteen minutes to get warm! Oh, wait. I'm supposed to be talking about my dream life. You know what? It's not all you think it's going to be sometimes.
When I started this journey I was just certain things would be great and it wouldn't be that hard being apart from my husband. It was only going to be for a few months and he would visit at least every six weeks. How bad could it be? So we packed up everything, got moved here and now the real fun has begun. My mother moved with me and thank goodness for that! Though at times she drives me crazy I don't know what I'd do without her. We have poodles and my female recently had pups. So having Mom here to care for them during the day has been a blessing for sure! Not having my husband here...well, that has been so much harder than I could have imagined.
I've never lived alone, so taking care of all that comes with a home and it's maintenance or dealing with a landlord, well, these are foreign concepts to me. Through trial and error, blood, sweat and tears I am learning! Take for instance the yard work. We had someone come and trim trees and they assured us they stacked all the clippings properly so that horticulture would pick it up. Wrong! They didn't pick up anything! So I call the guy back to come and take care of it and that's when problem number two reared it's head. He had lost the check I paid him with. WHAT??? Are you kidding me? So off to the bank I go to cancel the check, retrieve cash for him now (minus the $27.00 fee I paid for the cancellation) and on to the next challange. A call from fraud prevention on the same account regarding something with my debit card. Now I'm thinking, is there a black cloud over my head? Hopefully not. Back to the bank to apply for a new card, cut up the old card and file a dispute form for the fraudulent charge.
And don't get me started on the issues with the landlord! Apparently the last renters didn't take care of anything nor did they report any problems. And there have been several. Toilets that almost overflow, a washer that did overflow and flood the garage, a cooktop whose coils sit crooked making it nearly impossible to prepare a meal. The list goes on. And so have the calls and emails back and forth between myself, the property manager and her assistant. We are getting there though. I am realizing that if I advocate the upkeep of the house and make myself the secondary recepient of said upgrades, the exchanges go much more smoothly. We are still waiting on coils to be installed that will sit flat for proper cooking, but, hey, at least they are working on it. Thankfully the plumbing issues have been corrected so no more overflows!
I talk with my hubby almost every night and email him during the day. It's not the same as conversations side by side on the couch, but for now they will have to do. The bed feels very big at night and having my baby Keegan (our smallest poodle) sleep with me does help, but again, not the same. I know now how much he really takes care of and how much he truly helps around the house. Things I knew before, but never fully appreciated. I am so much more appreciative of even the littlest things he'd take care of now. Like taking out the trash. Even if he doesn't remember to put a new bag in afterwards. Is it that big a deal that he didn't? Can I not do that? Of course I can. And I will when he gets here!
For now I will continue learning more about the home maintenance processes than I probably ever wanted to. But with each new thing learned I will gain new appreciation for the husband that encouraged me to follow this dream. And I know now tht every day should be filled with words of encouragement and praise for the wonderful man the Lord provided me with. And when my hubby is here with me, my road my still be bumpy, but it will be filled with even more sunshine than the Sunshine State ever thought about holding!

No comments:

Post a Comment