Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Skillet & Papa Roach! Seriously, I thought you guys were Christians!

Hard rocking, contemporary Christian band Skillet, announced this week that they will be doing a new tour with....Papa Roach.  Oh my!  Surely not!

Surely as professed Christians the members of Skillet should know better!  I mean, I know you have toured with other main stream, i.e., secular bands, but Papa Roach?  The lead singer, Jacoby Shaddix was interviewed just today for The Aquarian Weekly and used no less than 7 curse words.  Their music is not much better.  What is Skillet thinking touring with these people?

Oh, and by the way I still believe the members of Skillet are Christians.  Born again, tried and true, washed in the blood...take your pick of the metaphors.  And here's my point in all of this.

Maybe, Skillet reasons, quite correctly, that what better place to go and deliver the news of the Gospel than to a crowd of concert goers who are largely un-churched people.  People who are what we Christians call "lost".  What better place to live out your faith than among the bruised, the broken of society. 

That's what our Savior did isn't it?  Did he not sit and eat with"tax collectors"?  (As if anybody would want to eat with them!  Despicable!)  Did he not discuss matters of faith with the Pharisees?  Did he not ask for water from the well of a Samaritan woman?  (This was a big no, no for those who are not aware.  Check the Bible story and commentaries, you'll see!)

If this is Skillet's point, then I say kudos to them.  For reaching out into a world that needs hope...and not being afraid to offend the blue-hairs in the church while doing so.  Jesus knows their hearts.  And if their hearts are in the right place, I believe much good will come of it.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in Him, brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." - John 15:5

No comments:

Post a Comment