Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Soldier's Life for Me

I chose this path because my heart told me to,

I chose it because my mind agreed,
I chose it despite my own apprehension,
I chose it despite my own fear.

I chose this path though it meant leaving family,
I chose this path though it meant leaving friends
I chose this path though it meant possible loss,
I chose this path though I didn't know its' end.

I trained for weeks, trained for years
I shed sweat, blood and tears
I almost gave up sometimes
I forged friendships stronger than bloodlines.

I was told I was brave and admirable by so very many
I was told by many I was so very strong
I was told by others I was pushing hate and intolerance,
I was told by some that war was wrong.

No matter your opinion of war and soldiers,
No matter your view on religious beliefs,
No matter where you lay your head at night,
Know your freedom is because of others like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment