Saturday, February 13, 2016

L.O.V.E. is our dream come true!

I thought it fitting as part of our conclusion to this series that I share a little of mine and my hubby's love story...

Our love story started out when I was just 16 and he was 17...high school sweethearts!  24 Valentine's together and nearly 18 years of marriage...that much time together has seen a lot of ups and downs.  Job changes and job loss, multiple house moves, infertility, lost loved ones, near financial ruin...many, many heartaches and struggles through the years.

I can honestly say that had we not made the decision long before we ever got married...heck before we even got engaged...to keep God at the center of our relationship, we likely would not have survived.  That has been the key to our marriage.  Jesus' spirit in us and His love for us kept us working (yes, love and marriage is work!) and fighting for ourselves.  It kept us bonded, kept us grounded and helped us love when we did not really feel like it.

For many reasons, I never was that young girl who dreamed of a fairy tale wedding.  I had been hurt by several people on several levels and I had witnessed marriages that just did not seem like anything I would ever want to be a part of.  When my husband and I started dating though I knew right away something was different about him.  His first gift to me was a Bible...

God was orchestrating things for me and for my husband, though I do not believe we fully recognized it at the time.  I can see it so clearly now like fingerprints that turned those pages and allowed us to walk this storybook journey.  He brought us together through His love for us and allowed us to flourish in our love for each other.  A dream come true that I had not yet even dreamed!

I feel this verse perfectly sums this up...
then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.

L.O.V.E. cultivated and brought to fruition in marriage by a loving and merciful God...this is better than any fairy tale I could have made up...

No comments:

Post a Comment